Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tell Me Three Things Review

Tell Me Three Things
By: Julie Buxbaum

Everything about Jessie is wrong. At least, that’s what it feels like during her first week as a junior at her new ultra-intimidating prep school in Los Angeles. It’s been barely two years since her mother’s death, and because her father eloped with a woman he met online, Jessie has been forced to move across the country to live with her stepmonster and her pretentious teenage son.

Just when she’s thinking about hightailing it back to Chicago, she gets an email from a person calling themselves Somebody/Nobody (SN for short), offering to help her navigate the wilds of Wood Valley High School. Is it an elaborate hoax? Or can she rely on SN for some much-needed help?

In a leap of faith—or an act of complete desperation—Jessie begins to rely on SN, and SN quickly becomes her lifeline and closest ally. Jessie can’t help wanting to meet SN in person. But are some mysteries better left unsolved?


Three Things:

(1) I may or may not have shed tears while reading this beautiful book. (2) Ever since I started reading this book I have been tempted to purchase a waffle maker. (3) I want a guy like SN in my life so badly why can't all guys be like him.

I always get emotional when reading about the loss of a parent because I'm so close to mine. There was no dry eye in my room as I read this book because if I were to ever lose one, I don't know what I would do. 

Jessie is very relatable in just the way she presents herself.  Being shy myself, and having to start over at a new school (multiple times) I felt for her.  High school is mean and people just suck all the way around.  But for the current situation she's in, she handles it pretty well (better than I would have).  Dad says he is going on a business trip and then comes back married? I would have flipped.  Like, huge tantrum, yelling, flipped out.  But Jessie carefully composes herself and tries to go along with whatever life brings her. Of course on the inside she has all her turmoil and anger built up but I mean if she didn't, she wouldn't be human.

I loved the diction in the story and how you could really connect with the main character.  You were literally inside her head and I lost count on how many times I would laugh out loud at the jokes, have an "awh" moment, or shed a few tears.  You weren't just told a story, you lived it out with Jessie. 

SN is probably my favorite person ever.  I wish I had a cute guy anonymously message me and give me tips on school, who to friend, and just have someone to talk to when I moved states.  Probably would have saved me a whole lot of trouble.  SN is everyone's dream guy and as you flip through the pages you have the same anxious feeling like Jessie does, to figure out who it is.  And believe me when you find out, you'll be pleasantly and happily surprised.

This book at first glance looked to be a cute story with a pretty cover but turned out to be SO much more. 

I wish I could just make everyone I met read this book so they could have the same bubbly feeling I had when reading it.

5/5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment