Thursday, August 11, 2016

Since You've Been Gone Review

Since You've Been Gone
By: Morgan Matson

It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?


This was my first read by Morgan Matson.  And I am glad to have started out with this amazing book. I had always been drawn to this book for one main reason: The red heart sunglasses. I have a pair of my own, Taylor Swift has a pair, so of course that meant this book was bound to be good right?

Wrong.

It was spectacular and deserves so many more lovely adjectives than what I can think of right now.  I mean, wow.  The beginning was a little slow for me, mainly because the font was smaller than what I was used to and it threw me off.  But when Emily finds the list and her life gets flipped over... you couldn't get my head out of the book.

I loved the friendships aspect.  It reminded me a lot of me when I moved (I feel like I mention that in blog posts a lot but whatever).  I left my best friend who I had known since preschool and wound up on alone island in Alaska. It was hard, but eventually Emily found her voice, and I did too after a while.

Now the love story aspect.  I never knew Frank could be the name of an attractive guy but lets face it: Frank Porter takes the cake.  His kind and beautiful spirit never fazed me and I was always left wanted more whenever a scene with him ended. 

One quote really got to me though about this whole book.

“She hugged me tight, and I hugged her back. I was going to miss her—I knew it. But somehow, I had the feeling that we were going to be okay. I didn’t know what would happen with us. Maybe we’d find a way to attend the same college and be roommates and have the most amazingly decorated dorm room ever. Maybe we’d end up being pen pals, sending lists back and forth. Or we’d just stick to talking twice a week, or we’d video chat, or else just spend all our money traveling to hang out with each other on weekends. I somehow knew that the particulars didn’t matter. She was my heart, she was half of me, and nothing, certainly not a few measly hundred miles, was ever going to change that.”  

That spoke to me in the deepest way because when I moved away from my best friend, we were devastated, but we knew we were going to be okay. Now we are closer than ever and just in the last six months we have flown and seen each other three times.  We text and call constantly. She is literally my sister and our friendship is only going to flourish from here.

So thank you Morgan Matson. Thank yo for creating a beautiful masterpiece that made my cry and text my best friend this paragraph which caused us to cry more together.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment