Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Neverland Wars Review

 

The Neverland Wars
By: Audrey Greathouse

Magic can do a lot―give you flight, show you mermaids, help you taste the stars, and… solve the budget crisis? That's what the grown-ups will do with it if they ever make it to Neverland to steal its magic and bring their children home.
However, Gwen doesn't know this. She's just a sixteen-year-old girl with a place on the debate team and a powerful crush on Jay, the soon-to-be homecoming king. She doesn't know her little sister could actually run away with Peter Pan, or that she might have to chase after her to bring her home safe. Gwen will find out though―and when she does, she'll discover she's in the middle of a looming war between Neverland and reality.
She'll be out of place as a teenager in Neverland, but she won't be the only one. Peter Pan's constant treks back to the mainland have slowly aged him into adolescence as well. Soon, Gwen will have to decide whether she's going to join impish, playful Peter in his fight for eternal youth… or if she's going to scramble back to reality in time for the homecoming dance.

Going into this book I was excited.  I've had a crush on Peter Pan since I was seated in front of the television screen to distract me so my mother could rest (I was a very rambunctious child).  So to get to relive Neverland in a whole new way? Sign me up. 

I was whirled into this whimsical and fascinating world of magic, fairies, and lost boys.  I could deeply relate with the main character Gwen and her seemingly childish and mature personality. 

There is no time for slow beginnings or background stories in this book; instantly within a few chapters I was thrusted into Neverland and got to experience the day-to-day life in Neverland.  Of course there were mermaids, lost boys, fairies (when you learn their names you will die of adorableness), and the redskins (of course Gwen doesn't feel comfortable calling them that... but whatever).  There were no pirates but I was delighted to hear the stories Peter recounted.... maybe in book 2?

Peter Pan is portrayed with a playful, yet maybe, dare I say it, mature (?) personality.  He looks about 16 (due to flying in the real world he ages slowly in our realm, something I never even stopped to think about).

In my eyes, he is quite handsome and throughout the whole book I wanted Gwen to forget about Jay and go for Peter.  Because.... Peter Pan!!! I still think the two had some chemistry throughout the story and especially at the end.  So book 2 I am begging, and praying for something... cause this ship has sailed.

Although, I absolutely loved the concept and plot, I found it ended a bit suddenly.  To me, I was still in the introduction stage to the whole plot and we hadn't reached a huge climax before I suddenly reached the last page.

Every author has a different style and maybe it's just my impatience to want to read more in this world that brings out these negative feelings in me.  All I know is I will definitely be waiting anxiously for the sequel.

Extra:

While reading The Neverland Wars, I actually listened to the Peter Pan score on Spotify.  The music fit the book quite well and provided a little something extra to the text. 

Songs I suggest for the book playlist are:
- Lost Boy by: Ruth B
- Little Soldier by: Lily Allen
- Fairy Dance by: Peter Pan Score (Original Movie)
- Flying  by: Peter Pan Score (Original Movie)
- Main Title  by: Peter Pan Score (Original Movie)
- Ships in the Night by: Mat Kearney


No comments:

Post a Comment