Thursday, April 21, 2016

Finding Audrey Review

I have walked passed this book millions of times since it came out in Barnes and Noble and it never quite struck my fancy until I saw the recommendation.

I took a chance and decided to read it above all my other books stacked under my bed right now. And my, oh, my am I glad to have.

I have actually never read a Sophie Kinsella book until now and I can never go back.  My next books in my TBR pile will be her Shopoholic series.

Anyways, back to Finding Audrey.  The book is about a girl with a social anxiety order due to something that happened a few months prior.  She can't look at anyone,her family included, leave the house (except to her therapist's office) or even talk to people other than her family.

I have to say, someone coming from experience of having an social anxiety disorder, the book was pretty spot on.  It puts you into the mind of someone with this illness and shows you how their world works. It gives you their perspective on the panic attacks, meltdowns, and why we are who we are.

Finding Audrey shows you the beauty of life and the roller coaster that we are supposed to be on.  Nobody just goes straight up and perfect, we go up and down and even sideways and backwards.  We weren't built to be perfect.

One thing I didn't particularly enjoy was the narration of her brother Frank and moms banter about his computer usage.  I see where it was necessary and quite funny, but also a little random to put into the story.

It also seems quite fast that Audrey turns around and gets better, but that's a book I guess, you can't cram months and months of recovery into a three hundred paged story or one would probably fall asleep.  Though I wish it focused a bit more on the recovery process and less about her getting a boyfriend and all of the sudden getting better.  Because even though Linus had a part in helping her to recovery, it wasn't all thanks to him.

We also never learn what happened to Audrey that causes the anxiety to emerge from its dormant state.  We get hints and it alludes to some sort of mean-girl bullying, but I'm a nosy person and I would love to have details.  But this is also the positive mention too because I totally forgot about my yearning to know what happened because of how great the story was.  I was at the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen and how event A would  make Event B better.  It wasn't until I had made dinner that I realized the reader never found out.  And I am slightly okay with that because the book as a whole was a beautiful masterpiece.

RATING: 4.3

“They talk about “body language,” as if we all speak it the same. But everyone has their own dialect. For me right now, for example, swiveling my body right away and staring rigidly at the corner means, “I like you.” Because I didn’t run away and shut myself in the bathroom. I just hope he realizes that.” 
― Sophie KinsellaFinding Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment